These are the minutes of the September 4th Board Meeting. They are subject to approval at the October meeting. However, they have been reviewed by the members of the Board for consistency with their understanding of discussion and accuracy of recording.
Tusket River Environmental Protection Association
Board of Directors Meeting
September 4th, 2019
The meeting of the Board of Directors of TREPA September 4th, 2019 was held at the Main Street office, in Yarmouth beginning at 7 pm. Meeting chaired by president Dan Earle
Present-Barrie MacGregor, John Sollows, John Morris, Dan Earle, Eko Raharjo, Jennifer Cunningham, Roy Fudge, Mike Raynard and Nicola Roberts-Fenton.
Regrets: Ginny Smith, Jean Cleveland, Dianne Klomp, Debbie Sullivan
Approval Agenda– It was moved by Barrie, seconded by Mike and carried that the agenda be approved as amended.
Approval Minutes– It was moved by Roy, seconded by Mike and carried that the minutes of the last meeting be approved as circulated.
Treasurer’s Report-Dianne reported by email that the financial report would be available by the end of the week and circulated to board members.
1. Carleton River Water Quality Monitoring: John reported that the chemistry was completed for the summer and that the data was coming in.
2. Summer Students: MacKenzie Upton is finished for the summer, salary paid up. She circulated a general report to board members. She had also completed several other reports and John S. agreed to circulate them to board members. John S. and board members expressed enthusiastic satisfaction with her work.
The students hired for the fish count had completed their work earlier in the summer. DFO had sent grant payment to TREPA for direct deposit.
3. OP Eds –None from TREPA.
4. Executive Committee: Barrie reminded board members that by the October meeting the association will need volunteers for secretary and vice president. The vice president will be expected to take over as president in 2021. Volunteers to contact Barrie.
5. CRK Allan Reserve: John S. recommended that someone visit the reserve to see if any damage had been done since his last visit earlier in the summer. Roy and Barrie agreed to visit in the next couple of weeks.
- Planing Advisory Committee: Barrie and Roy attended the most recent PAC meeting of the Municipality of Yarmouth. Barrie reported that the issue re a development in Dayton was the item of concern. After some discussion the committee passed a motion to have the concern referred to Council.
- Minutes Presentation: After some discussion it was moved by John M., seconded by Mike and carried that in future the first draft of board minutes shall be circulated to all board members for comment. Comments to be made to the secretary within 48 hours. The amended minutes will be circulated a second time to board members for additional review. Once all amendments are incorporated the minutes can be put on the web site.
- Boat Launch on Lake Vaughan: Barrie had received a complaint about an unsanctioned boat launch recently created adjacent to the bridge in Raynardton. It was generally agreed that this was not a matter for TREPA and that the complainant be encouraged to seek the advice of appropriate government authorities.
- Nova Scotia Nature Trust and Seal Island: John S. reported that the NS Nature Trust was looking for volunteers as observers for Seal Island. John made several suggestions he will pass on to the Nature Trust particularly related to working with users of the island.
- Ash Seed Collection: There is currently a concern regarding the Emerald Ash Borer that is killing ash trees. As a remedy seed collection from healthy trees is being encouraged. Anyone can collect seeds from the white ash, but seeds from the black ash have to be collected by a qualified technician. Sarah Adams who will be coming down to collect in September. Members are encouraged to inform John or Sarah if they know of any black ash locations.
- Executive Director Replacement: John S. reported to the board that he will be stepping down as Executive Director effective the 2020 Annual Meeting. He then will then take a six month absence from TREPA and will consider coming on the board as a director. It was generally agreed that John draw up a list of his current functions and between now and the AGM the jobs will be parceled out to others.
- Bills: It was moved by Roy seconded by John M. and carried, that all bills be paid as presented.
- Adjournment: It was moved by John Morris that the meeting be adjourned.
Next meeting: October 2nd, 2019 at 7:00 pm at the TREPA office on Main Street, Yarmouth.