Minutes of January Meeting

A new feature we are adding to the website for our viewers is a copy of our most recent meeting minutes. Understand that these are not the official minutes until approved at the next meeting. However, there a seldom changes made.

TREPA Minutes

Jan. 9, 2019

The meeting of the Board of Directors of TREPA Jan. 9, 2018, at 7:05 P.M. at Beacon Church location.

Present-BarrieMacGregor,  John Sollows, Jennifer Cunningham, Mike Raynard, John Morris, Jean Cleveland, Debbie Sullivan, Bryan Mood, John Kearney, Dan Earle, Eko Rahajo, Debbie Sullivan and Ginny Smith.

Regrets: John Linder, and Dianne Klomp.

Approve Agenda-Approved –two additions Barrie (2), and Bryan(Prime transmission).

Approve Minutes- Moved by John M. and 2nd by Mike R.  Approved .

Treasurer’s Report- Previously received.

OLD BUSINESS:

  1. Water quality- John S is working on completing the water quality report.  John S. will send letter off to Andrew Sinclair for financial assistance.  Victoria Brooks declined to sign the financial request. John can sign for the committee.

2.   Report gone off to Adopt a Stream for 2018.

3.  Op Eds- Article in both papers about the hemlock wooly adelgid workshop Barrie hosted.

4.  Canada Summer Job-It was suggested that we get a job description out to university/college programs that might have interested students.  We would like to have someone with technical knowledge.   Early recruitment of interested individuals might bring about the results we want. John will share job description with Jennifer.

5.  Shoreline Buffer Issues-We are hoping to find a method of circulation for our flyers.  Argyle Municipality will not circulate the flyers in tax bills because those are done in Halifax.  The new initiative by the Eco Action Team should help if the grant is received.

Debbie had a few ideas: distribute at the  Forest Glen Canoe Rally, and the Spring Life Style Show.  Barrie will see if we can identify lakeside owners from the municipalities.  Nature Trust also has a list of property owners.  The contact is Jessica Bradford (Conservation Manager).

6.   Boomerang Bags project has been launched and is situated in Killan bld. The project will run the first Saturday of each month from 2-5, and 3-5 on the 4th Thursday, as well as two or three Mondays for Pathfinders. 

7.   Cooperation with other organizations-Kesputwitk (KCC)-is important.  There are several targets (9) in total and are posted.  There is an NGO in each of the nine projects. A few of those projects include Riparian Zones, HWA with Matt Smith, and others.  The others will be listed on a web page.  Lesley Farrow is the coordinator for the KCC.   John K. thinks there will be some good opportunities for TREPA if we remain affiliated with NGOs and Community based organizations.   Jan. 13, there will be a governance committee meeting.  (Bryan is on the governance committee).

The Kesputwitk concept of two- eyed seeing would suggest that people in governance and the people who live in the area must work together.

8.   New membership to TREPA- Adding on new members and having a greater presence.   Two items were agreed upon:  Facebook page for information on E-transfer for membership (will ask Dianne Klomp to work on this).  Dan will put the minutes on the Web page and list members on Google drive.

NEW BUSINESS:

1.   Funding Proposal for Eco Action Funding re water quality, must be submitted immediately (contact John by Friday).  SNBRA and MTRI and TREPA would be working together.

2.  DFO Coastal Restoration –Funding process-Looking for community support (Shana) as far as our capacity will allow.  Mike Raynard has had contact with Charlene LeBlanc who has studied eel grass growth/loss in the area.  It was pointed out that local expertise should be consulted.  Ginny will contact Charlene and Shana will be contacted by John S. to indicate that we are interested in participating.

3.    HWA-Barrie and Sandra hosted a presentation and there were 20 to 30 participants.  MTRI representatives made an excellent presentation.  The activity was covered by the Vanguard and the Chronicle Herald.

4.    Bills-We have a bill from the post office for our postal box. John is owed $510.00.  John’s check has been received and deposited.  Ginny will take check to post office and pay postal bill.

5.   There is a new Prime transmission location, approximately 20 feet from the lake.  There could be considerable leaching of chemicals and transmission oil from the plant into the nearby lake.  TREPA should be pointing out that the buildings should not be built within 40 feet of the edge of any body of water.   There was no PAC meeting to address the issue as far as we know.  It seems that it should be an issue that should come before council. Barrie suggested that we should do some research on how this could take place so close to the lake in the first place.  It seems that both the Dept. of Environment, and Fisheries should be contacted .The Municipal Inspector should be asked for an explanation.    A letter will be sent to the Municipality of Yarmouth regarding the issue.  A contingency plan should be in place.  John will write a letter expressing our concern about several issues and he will contact the Dept. of Environment.  We want to know what special measures will take place to protect the surrounding environment, including the lake.

6.    New Treasurer-Jennifer moved, JohnK. 2nd. Passed- that Dianne Klomp will be named our new treasurer.

           Next Meeting- Feb. 6, 2019, Beacon Street.  

This entry was posted in General Information. Bookmark the permalink.